You have no items in your shopping cart.
DSLR Camera & Lens “Holster” Cases — Features Page
The Kinesis C-series cases are the most technical, yet functional holster cases available today. They are designed to hold one digital SLR with a lens attached. The lens sits nose down on a double-thick foam base*. The taller models will accommodate an extra lens at the bottom if both lenses are short.
Three industry exclusive features
- QuickClose™ over-the-lid compression strap,
- CameraCushion™ foam divider works either horizontally or vertically
- Double foam bottom (extra protection where it counts -- near the lens front element)
- This series of cases feature a zippered reverse-opening lid.
- Up to three small Kinesis pouches can be piggybacked on to the outside of a C-series case. Single-wide pouches will fit on the sides and a single-wide or double-wide will fit in the front.
- Numerous D-Rings for attaching optional shoulder strap (Y315 Padded Shoulder Strap recommended) or shoulder harness
- Most shoe-mount style flash units will fit in the front pocket of any C-series case including the following: Canon 580EX, 550EX, 540EZ, 430EZ or Nikon SB-26, SB-28, SB-900.
- Small zippered pocket under top lid for storage of CF cards, lens tissue or small filters. Zipper is covered by a fabric flap so it will not scratch your LCD screen.
Fabrication (click for more info on this topic)
- Exterior utilizes rugged 500-Denier Cordura fabric (used on most of our cases)
- The main case body is contains 10mm-thick closed-cell foam
- The bottom has an extra layer 6mm of foam
- The lid utilizes 6mm foam
*Design Note: Our holster cases have no edge shelf to support the camera body—instead we use the “Camera Cushion” that covers the whole area of the case (see below). The weight of the camera body and lens rests on the lens and/or lens hood at the base of the case or on the foam-padded CameraCushion divider. The hood diameter of today's large 2.8 zooms do not leave a lot of space to accommodate a shelf feature -- the hood would catch on the edge of any shelf making the case too cumbersome for daily use. When is the last time your lens became damaged by gently placing it front element down on a table? Some of today's 2.8 zooms weigh more than an SLR body. In eight years we have yet to hear of damage done to a lens or hood because of this design feature (or lack thereof).
The QuickClose™ compression strap features a quick-release buckle. This stabilizes the load and lets you close the case quickly without using the zipper. In our prototype testing (during the winter of 1998 on the ski slopes of Colorado) this simple addition was the most appreciated new feature. A jacket or other soft accessory can be attached. The shoulder strap (Y208) from your SafariSack™ can be attached to this buckle to extend it's length.
The foam CameraCushion™ can be used in two different ways. It comes standard with all holster or "C-series" cases.
1. Spacer -- it can be used as a spacer, providing a snug fit with smaller camera bodies when used with the larger cavity of a C500, C580 or C640. This feature enables you to use several different sized bodies with the same case. The C540, C580 & C750s come with the V100 CameraCushion, which is made from 30mm open cell foam.
2. Elevator/Divider -- it can also be used as a divider to protect a second lens when stowed in the bottom of the case or it can be used to simply elevate the camera and lens when a shorter lens is attached.
The 10mm-thick V102 Thin CameraCushion is smaller, designed to used only as a divider (not as a spacer) in the C380 or C382.
The C series cases have multiple D-Rings for attaching a chest harness or for attaching to conventional backpack.
A hand grab loop is also provided. When this case is attached to a belt, the hand grab loop can be conveniently tucked out of the way between the case and the belt.
The back of these cases has a 75mm-high (3") pair of sewn generic belt loops for attaching to a small backpack belt or other non-Kinesis belts. To use this (or other Kinesis cases) on a larger non-Kinesis backpack belt use the Y504 adapter.
Please note: The zipper now features the special YKK Water-repellent Zipper (not the fabric flap shown in these dated photos) -- wonderful on those dismal GoreTex® days.
The Y302 Holster Compression Strap is useful in stabilizing a holster case on a belt.
Adding a Y315 across the chest provides additional support to a belt system.
A holster case can be worn as a backpack with either the H245 or H250 harness. Remove the “J-shaped H437 snap hooks” with attached straps from the front of the harness and attach “reverse style” to the metal sliders near the front/top of the harness. Attach these to the uppder D-rings on the side or back of the holster case (sides are more stable, unlike the photo above). If you are not wearing a waist belt, bring the loose ends of the harness and attach them to the side D-rings of the holster -- otherwise attach them to the D-rings on the belt and then place a Y215 or H170 strap around your torso and attach to the lower D-Rings of the holster. Confused? If you are purchasing a new holster, request us to configure it for you before it ships out.